Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Surviving the dark places



Pain often brings isolation, and it is no one's fault. The person who has an illness doesn't feel like talking, socializing, or maybe even getting dressed. You have to cope with the stress that wreaks your body. And others don't know what to do.

Even if you, in all your pain, reach out for others, you may still experience social isolation. One reason is that people do not want to get to close to suffering. It's frightening to think about illness and how it could happen to them. Their lives are already stressful, and they withdraw from you.

You feel alone, wondering how God could allow you to suffer. Has he left you?

No, God has not left you in your time of distress. Perhaps the pain seems bigger than God, but it is not. Be assured that He is with you. If you need assurance, take a look at Psalm 138:


8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
       if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

    9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
       if I settle on the far side of the sea,

    10 even there your hand will guide me,
       your right hand will hold me fast.

    11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
       and the light become night around me,"

    12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
       the night will shine like the day,
       for darkness is as light to you. 


In your pain and aloneness, cling to things and people important to you. They may feel as though they are part of your past, but consider them part of your future.  Fight the good fight of faith: worship God, talk to Him, and focus on God's ability to bring you through this. Be prepared to be lifted up by the Lord, to rise on the wings of the dawn.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy

    Jessica Nelson sent me over to your blog and I'm so happy that she did!

    Your post made me cry because you wrote about what my life is like struggling daily with fibromyalgia, trigeminal neuralgia and TMJ. Never mind the physical toll it takes on my life, but even more, what it does to relationships and to the hopes of ever having a social life.

    If it wasn't for my strong faith and a unique, loving, unselfish, ministering husband...I know that I would never make it through the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, thank you for your comment. It's full of knowledge and understanding. We become more inward sometimes, but the good thing is that we're still inside us and so is God.

    ReplyDelete