Monday, June 28, 2010

Opening up


Most people who have trigeminal neuralgia and other types of neuropathic facial pain have experienced quite a bit of rejection. It happens because people who have not experienced such mysterious and excruciating pain find our explanations to be incredulous. They just can't believe it's possible.

Here's something else to consider. If this is terrible thing happening to someone else, it could happen to them. Denial is easy.

Think back to your earliest days with this disability. Was it difficult for you to believe that such pain could come out of nowhere? So difficult to describe? Mere talking can cause the electrocution-type pains to erupt, making it easier and easier not to talk about the terrible predicament.

We withdraw. We go into our own world, and we feel alone but we aren't. It's not just us and the television.

Today I am watching Julie and Julia, a movie I've seen before. I've seen it before, and I love the story. Julie blogs away while she works through Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child. She starts with no followers, but she quickly gathers an audience. It's the beginning of Julie's success.

If we take a look back, though, we see that she opened herself up to anyone who had access to a computer and could read in English. That's risky, and it's what we bloggers do.

When I wrote With Great Mercy, I opened myself up, telling how I thought the Lord had forgotten me, and then later learned how He much He cares. I really hadn't known the extent of His love until I reached out for His mercy.

At the time I didn't know others who have trigeminal neuralgia, but I knew they were out there. If I wanted to write something to help others, I would have to be transparent. It's a scary thing, but transparency is makes someone believable. The author's authenticity gives the reader someone to relate to. 

If you have no one who understands the depth of your pain, I encourage you to open up to someone. Step out of the box of isolation that often defines the world of someone who experiences so much pain. There are ways to do this: a support group, a prayer group, or a professional counselor. If you don't have a trusted friend, feel free to contact me via email.

Trigeminal neuralgia turned my life upside down. It turned a drama teacher into a rehabilitation counselor, and lukewarm Christian became one who wanted every day to get closer to God.

Has illness caused your life to change? Did something good result from it?

No comments:

Post a Comment