Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Valley of Refreshing Springs


I posted this entry on my website October 2006, and I would like to share it with you.

When they walk through the Valley of Weeping, it will become a place of refreshing springs, The autumn rains will clothe it with blessings. Psalm 84:6


Have you ever noticed how much better you can feel after having a few good cries? Sometimes it seems that one cry just is not enough. I've been pondering why we sometimes go through a valley of tears instead of traipsing through a mere puddle.

Pain builds up, the dam breaks, and the tears fall onto the ground until they wash out a portion of earth. Then we stand in the valley, waiting, not sure which direction we should go. Even worse, we might not feel as though we can go in any direction. We’re stuck right where we are.

Nobody gets out of a valley without walking uphill. It isn't easy, but we have the Lord to hold our hands. He’s not going to yank us out of the valley, though. Maybe we can get motivated to walk out of the valley if we remember the tears that got us there, the tears that helped wash away some of the hurt, the tears that cleansed our broken hearts.

We can't undo the tears or the valleys, but we can choose to make that uphill walk. We can choose to hold tightly to the Lord’s hand.

Sometimes I have to think about the good things that came from the tears. My tears that hit the ground fed the plants and other beautiful living things. My pain and tears gave life to something else. I am confident that God does not let our pain go unnoticed. I'm still climbing upward, and Jesus is holding my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment