Thursday, June 18, 2009

Barometric pressure and neuropathic pain



It's been great to have some rest and to be able to control my environment. That means no more than 15 minutes at a time for my computer sessions, very little talking, and almost no chewing. There are other things on the list, but these seem to be the most important. Today my neurologist and I had a talk about how being able to control my environment and the ability to get better.

I mentioned that the one thing I could not control was the barometric pressure, and it seems to trigger the pain as much, if not more, than anything. During the times when the conditions are just right (should I say just wrong?), the nerve pain hits my mouth, jaw, and my neck. The foreboding sky, the one that looks like nighttime during the day, seems to rock my world.

After my doctor's visit today, I ran into the grocery store for just a couple of things. I live in a small town, and people are friendly here. The minute I walked in, a lady whom I had never met wanted to engage me in conversation about food. I knew better than to open my mouth. I had to get in and get out of the store and to let my jaw rest completely. There's no need to explain it to someone. They'll think I am crazy. Plus, if I am going to talk, I might as well talk to her about what she wants to talk about. After all, a zap is a zap regardless of the reason for having it.

When I was a kid, I remember a song called Silence is Golden. I didn't get it. As a loquacious individual, I have preferred a life filled with conversation laughter. Forget about interruptions, the more spontaneous, the better. That sometimes seems like another life, another person. I am thankful for my quiet times, and they far exceed the times that I spend talking to others. I'm still grateful to communicate, but I am even happier that I don't have to.

Grateful and thankful I remain, even in the midst of the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment