Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A pillow that reduced my pain level



Jacob found a stone to rest his head against and lay down to sleep, Genesis 28:11.

You may be wondering what this Bible verse has to do with trigeminal neuralgia or other types of facial pain. Or you may be one of us who "fights with the pillow" at night, trying to get comfortable. If you are, I am hoping this post will help you.

The pillow in the picture is a gift from my daughter's mother and father-in-law, Kuei Mei and George. A few months ago, Kuei Mei noticed my neck's limited range of motion and my discomfort. Through my daugher, she sent me a pillow that had been purchased in Asia. When Kelli brought the rattan pillow to me, she began to explain how it might help, and I practically jerked it away from her. I've been looking for the right one for years.

The search began when I worked for the Trigeminal Neuralgia Association. We were having a conference in Dearborn, Michigan and stayed at the hotel where it was held. On the bed was a large decorative pillow that was quite hard. One night when I was tossing and turning, I picked up the huge "cushion" and placed it under my head. I went right to sleep, and I didn't wake up until morning. I used it until we left, and it provided relief every night.

When I got home, I began to fight with my pillow again. I wrote about it on TNA Connect, and someone responded, saying she had the same experience with the decorative pillow at the hotel. Since then, I've looked for one that would give my neck more support, but I never found anything effective.

I longed for Joseph's pillow, one that I could sleep and dream on. That's why the stiff rattan pillow caught my attention immediately.

Although I no longer have trigeminal neuralgia pain, I have a jaw that causes facial pain. I also have cervical spondylosis and bone spurs in my neck.

The day before Thanksgiving, my neck hurt so badly that I could barely function. I had been to the dentist twice that week, one trip being to Lakeland. It put additional strain on my neck. I had no choice but to work on the meal in ten minute increments and then rest for thirty.

I received the pillow Thanksgiving Day. That night I used it, and the next morning my pain was reduced significantly. In fact, I went out to do some Black Friday shopping. My range of motion improved greatly after just one night. My facial pain (which radiates from my jaw and neck) has been greatly reduced. I can move my head to the right and left again. Thank you, Kuei Mei and George, for one of the best gifts I've received.

I'll be following up right away with more information about the pillow. But in the meantime, I'd like to say that I haven't had to take a pain pill since I have used it.

Hallelujah! A follow-up post about the pillow here . And if you cannot find this item and are interested in something else, please see how my search continued and what I found. Click.

Have you visited my website?

No comments:

Post a Comment