Friday, July 10, 2009

Flossing



People with neuropathic facial pain, trigeminal neuralgia, and jaw joint issues such as TMJ know how difficult it can be to floss or to brush one's teeth. When I think of flossing or going to the dentist, I have a lot of anxiety. But when I look at my gums, I have even more.

There are so many days when I absolutely cannot floss. In fact, they are most days. I also have days when I cannot brush my teeth. I struggle with those days. There is something about the mechanism of moving my jaw around to floss that causes terrible pain. So on my good days, I floss. Flossing aggravates the situation and often causes pain, pain, pain. Have I said pain enough? Here's the good news: I've been able to floss twice this week.

I am thankful for mouthwash and for toothpastes that help fight bacteria yet cause less stinging. Most of all, I am thankful for God's grace. He sees me through the difficult times and gives me rest when I feel that I cannot tolerate another day of being in this situation. He gives me hope for tomorrow. I remember years ago, experiencing the pain of trigeminal neuralgia: I did not want to see the next day. It was during those desperate days that I realized that Jesus was my best friend. I had been a Christian most of my life, but I had never realized how desperately I needed God.

Most of all, I am thankful for the rest and peace that I have at this point in my life. I'm not afraid. I'm content. I'm resting in God's wonderful love.

2 comments:

  1. Kathy;
    I know this is an old post for you but a very new one for me. I have recently been diagnosed with TN and I have to agree with the fear of anything touching my face, teeth, gums that might trigger an attack. I have also found I am spending a lot more time in prayer. I would love to be healed but right now I don't see that as an answer so I pray for strength and endurance. I also have asked God to watch over my husband for him to endure the pain with me is not an easy thing for him to do. He wants to take the pain away and fix the problem.

    Thank you for your post and your public faith in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June, thank you for stopping by my blog. I am praying that you will experience healing. People who have TN often gain greater strength as sojourn on in spite of the pain. May the Lord bless you and your husband.

      Delete